Elite Learning, a program of online courses in its tenth successful year serving the students of southwestern Virginia, is a part of the Southwest Virginia Education and Training Network (SVETN). Because many highly motivated students use their high school years to get a head-start on their college education, Elite Learning provides a variety of asynchronous dual enrollment courses allowing students to receive both high school and college credits from the same coursework. Elite Learning courses are challenging, demanding and exciting! Teachers in the Elite Learning program are highly qualified and meet all requirements as established by the Virginia Community College System.
THE OBJECTIVES OF ELITE LEARNING ARE
• to provide a unique service to SVETN members, otherwise unavailable,
• to furnish high school course offerings where there are curricular gaps or conflicts in students’ schedules, and
• to deliver affordable college credits through dual enrollment to juniors and seniors prior to high school graduation.
WHO TEACHES THE ELITE LEARNING CLASSES?
All instructors are from southwestern Virginia. They understand the unique dynamics of students from this region. The instructors are fully accredited college adjuncts.
WHEN ARE ELITE LEARNING COURSES OFFERED?
Course calendars conform to the community college’s Fall and Spring semesters. There also are year-long courses. Since the online activity is asynchronous, students may complete coursework during any assigned class period. Students also may do coursework anytime outside of the school day.
• Four community colleges support SVETN and Elite courses; therefore, students can earn college credits with each course! These colleges are: VHCC, MECC, SVCC, and WCC.
• Asynchronous courses can be taken at any time during the school day.
• More and more often, colleges and universities are using distance learning as a way to deliver their courses to students. Participating in an asynchronous course while in high school will give students an experiential advantage.
• Virginia’s Early College Scholars program requires students to complete at least 15 transferable college credits. Elite Learning provides a variety of courses to help accomplish this honorable task.
• Registering for classes is simple. Guidance counselors can register each student by visiting www.svetn.org. Follow the steps for Online Course Enrollment.