In 2004, SVETN launched Elite Learning, a program of asynchronous online courses in its thirteenth year serving the students of southwestern Virginia. Elite is an acronym for Experience Learning Innovation and Teaching Excellence. SVETN continues to serve the educational needs of learners in Bland, Buchanan, Carroll, Dickenson, Grayson, Lee, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, Wise, and Wythe Counties whose schools and colleges participate in Elite Learning.
The courses offered by Elite Learning are dual-enrollment, meaning students receive both high school and college credit for the same coursework. Elite Learning provides SVETN member high schools with a selection of courses taught by college adjuncts that use an Internet based Learning Management System (LMS), called Moodle. Moodle supports a combination of rigorous collaborative and self-paced activities conducted at the learner’s computer. Classes are asynchronous. That is, students may proceed at their own pace, on their own time within a flexible calendar framework. Thus the scheduling of in-school work time also is conveniently flexible.
During the 2014-2015 school year, Elite Learning offered 21 sections of 14 different dual enrollment courses. Fourteen fully developed and tested online course templates approved for Virginia high school graduation and community college credits will be offered during the 2015-2016 school year.
• English – ENG 111-112 (6 credits)
• Business Law I-II - BUS 241-242 (6 credits)
• Civil War and Reconstruction/America in Gilded Age - HIS 269-270 (6 credits)
• College Algebra - MTH 158 (3 credits)
• Creative Writing - ENG 211 (3 credits)
• Survey of Criminal Justice - ADJ 100 (3 credits)
• Survey of Criminology – ADJ 107 (3 credits)
• U.S. Government – PLS 211-212 (6 credits)
• U.S. History - HIS 121-122 (6 credits)
• Introduction to Business - BUS 100 (3 credits)
• Introduction to Elementary Statistics - MTH 146 (3 credits)
• Personal Finance - FIN 107 (3 credits)
• Principles of Psychology - PSY 200 (3 credits)
• Principles of Sociology - SOC 200 (3 credits)